Thursday, February 16, 2012

Grammar, spelling and plots, oh my!

So, in case you've ever wonder if authors read the reviews for their books let me put your mind at ease, this one does.

Although I do enjoy reading what you enjoyed, I pay more attention to the negative or rather critical comments. Not that I'm trying to encourage negative comments, I'm really not, but I do look for constructive criticism. For example, many people didn't appreciate the number of times I used Little grasshopper in Playing for Keeps and I'll admit that I just really enjoyed that, but I will be more careful in the future not to go overboard with endearments......even though I really did think that was cute.

Now, the biggest problem, well, not a problem most people claimed, but a slight distraction is some grammar mistakes. I apologize if you found one, it was unintentional, but a result of editing the books on my own. If you find a grammatical problem or anything of that nature, wrong word usage, please feel free to send me an e-mail with a heads up so that I can change it. I would really appreciate it. As far as misspelled words go there shouldn't be any, but I could see how the wrong word was used since my computer has a problem with auto correcting my work. Yes, my computer and I have had many words over the years over this issue. Again, if you spot it please let me know.

The new books hopefully will not have this problem. I have several people who have generously offered their editing services so I hope between all of us that there will be no more mistakes in future books.

 

-R.L.

 

8 comments:

  1. I have only ever left one other message for an author and it was because of how much I truly enjoyed her books. I am glad to say I feel the same way about your N.F.H. series. It is wonderful!! And I would like to say that I love Jason calling Haley little grasshopper and did not feel like it was overused. Every time I read the sentiment in both books it made me smile. I read close to 10 to 15 books a month and this series has become a favorite. I read Perfection in a day and then went right back to the beginning and reread it. I am anxiously awaiting the next book. Do you ever provide fans with advanced copies? Thanks again for your wonderful stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Aimee. Sorry, I don't. Since there's no waiting period once the book is ready to be published it would be pointless. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally didn't think the endearment was overdone. I found it cute too, just goes with Hayle's personality and Jason's obvious adoration for her. And Jason is just soooo adorable, I'll probably wouldn't mind even if he speaks dirrrty 24/7. lol It's just the way he is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I thought the endearments were cute. I loved Playing for Keeps! It was so funny. Little Grasshopper just added to the affect

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also LOVED this series and read each one in a day (different days) and I am very anxiously waiting for the next! I would also like to offer to help with the proofreading when needed! (And no that is definitely not a way to read the next book sooner ;) just saying)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also really liked Your Neighbor books and "grasshopper" endearment. I did notice some misspellings but not enough to bother me. I would have liked God to have been capitalized. Christ was, but God was not. I look forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jodie. One of the problems with the published books was the fact that Word decided to "Help" me by switching out a few words here and there. Thought I caught them all, but apparently I missed a few. God was one of those things that I wasn't sure if I should capitalize it or not because I didn't want the book to come off as religious, but I can see your point and can try and correct that in future books.

    ReplyDelete